Dual Stage Digital Temperature Controller – DIY Build
I am upgrading my fermentation chamber to a new chest freezer and wanted to save a little bit of money on a new digital temperature controller. I started out by checking prices at More Beer and just anywhere on the net that sold Ranco , Johnson or other controller options. I learned that the approximate minimum I could expect to pay was $100 and didn’t want to pay that much.
So, I turned to Home Brew Talk and a home brew buddy of mine, Big P Brewing for some suggestions. It was recommend to me that I should look into the DIY build with the ever famous STC-1000 digital temp controller from Hong Kong and follow one of the many builds from Home Brew Talk. Here is a link to just one of the many – DIY Temp Control.
I am by no means qualified to be doing really any kind of electrical work, so I relied on some other more mechanically talented friends to help out. Therefore, my post is not to actually demonstrate or provide a wiring diagram of the build. Rather, my intent is to share that someone with no skill in electrical wiring can save some cash and have a little fun building their home brew equipment.
List of what I used:
- STC-1000 digital controller ($23.50 including shipping – Ebay)
- Project enclosure (7x5x3″) ($6.99 – Radio Shack)
- 14 gauge power cable (Free – old computer power cable from work)
- 14 gauge wires for connections (Free – taken from a portion of the power cable)
- 20 amp duplex outlet ($4.99 – Home Depot)
- Plastic outlet cover ($0.25 – Home Depot)
Total Cost: $35.73